The Global Village Center is a fantastic resource! I would advise anyone who is visiting a foreign country, especially a non-English speaking one, check out on the internet if there is such a resource in the area where you'll be visiting. I left the Center with a ton of information and helpful advice. I learned there are english speaking translators to help you find the appropriate medical care, there are foreign only taxi cabs (with english speaking dispatchers and drivers), I finally was able to figure out the complicated garbage removal rules here in Seoul. (This is serious business, if you don't follow the rules strictly you can be fined from 100,000 to 300,000 won.) I applaud the efforts to go green and love the fact that they compost their food waste here, but it is difficult for even the most ecology minded westerner to figure out the process when the appropriate bags and garbage cans are all written in Korean.
And to that point, I signed up for absolute beginner Korean classes at the Global Village Center. I'm excited and nervous about starting since Michaela has already told me she'll learn Korean much quicker then me because she is younger and I am old. It's always good to be reminded of your age so gently.
I also contacted the American Women's Club of Seoul. One of the organizations dedicated to expatriate women who live and work in Seoul. In addition to it's social function, this group raises a lot of money for local charities. I'll be attending a newcomers coffee in August and am seriously looking forward to meeting these other ladies. Many of them are experienced expats having been moved from assignment to assignment with various companies.
Since this blog has been a lot about working around the language barriers here in Korea...
9 REASONS WHY IT'S IMPORTANT TO BE ABLE TO READ KOREAN AT HOME:
- So you can work your dishwasher
- So you can work your washing machine
- So you can work the remote control
- So you can work your telephone
- So you can work your intercom system
- So you can work your microwave
- So you can work your circuit breakers
- So you can work your thermostats
- So you can work your keyless entry front door
You get the picture... Speaking of pictures, as soon as I can get to the electronics market and get a new digital camera purchased, I will begin posting photos.
Peace,
Stephanie
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.